4.18.2016

Three Waffles Too Short

I don't know about you guys, but I really look forward to breakfast. Especially when your parents only buy ego waffles once in a blue moon. Anyways, late last year on a Sunday night, I checked to see how many waffles were left in the freezer. I was ecstatic to see that there were four left (enough for two people). I just had to be one of the first few people in my family to eat the next day.

*the next day*

I wake up and start getting ready for school. It's a Monday so I'm not really in the best mood to start with. At least I have ego waffles to look forward to right? Serena beats me down stairs, I know for a fact that she will eat two of the waffles, she's just like me.... obviously. A few minutes later I get a whiff of the delicious butter and syrup covered waffles, my stomach growls. I don't know if I can wait much longer. I quickly finish my hair and make up and head downstairs. By the time I'm in the kitchen, Serena has already gone upstairs. I confidently stride to the freezer and open it up. Staring up at me is only ONE EGO WAFFLE LEFT. WHAT?! I knew there was four last night and Serena and I were the only ones who had gone down stairs this morning. I had to ask her, it was unlike her to eat more than two waffles and she knew how much we both loved our waffles. Anger and a feeling of betrayal crept into my gut.

"Serena?" My voice rose at the end of her name. I sounded like a mother calling their child after finding something disastrous.

She sounded nervous as she asked, "Yeah?"

"Did you eat THREE waffles?!" I exclaimed. My confidence in her wrong doing grew stronger.

There was a pause as if she was deciding whether or not to tell me the truth. "Yeah..."

My anger consumed be. I slammed the freezer door, thrust the ONE waffle into the toaster, and started crying "I hate you" to my sister. 

It sounds extreme I know. But you must understand that having junk food in the house is so rare that, when we do, everyone in our family of five becomes everyman for himself. At least that's what learned after that morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment